Are you interested in studying media? Why? If you are really interested in studying media, you have your own answer for this query. We are living in a media driven society where media take part of a dominating role in our decisions. In such an environment, did you ever think about the relevance of analyzing media content? While we try to analyse critically, we will make a conclusion that these media content are consciously developed. It covers almost all aspects of day to day life.
Why do you are interested in media education? If you pause this question to Chris M Worsnop the answer will be a list of 20 reasons:
1. Like history, because the media interpret the past to us to show us what has gone into making us the way we are.
2. Like geography, because the media define for us our own place in the world.
3. Like civics, because the media help us to understand the workings of our immediate world, and our individual roles in it.
4. Like literature, because the media are our major sources of stories and entertainment.
5. Like literature, because the media require us to learn and use critical thinking skills.
6. Like business, because the media are major industries and are inextricably involved in
7. Like language, because the media help define how we communicate with each other.
8. Like science and technology, because the media always adopt the leading edge of
modern technological innovation.
9. Like family studies, because the media determine much of our cultural diet and weave part of the fabric of our lives.
10. Like environmental studies, because the media are as big a part of our everyday
environment as are trees, mountains, rivers, cities and oceans.
11. Like philosophy, because the media interpret our world, its values and ideas to us.
12. Like psychology, because the media help us (mis)understand ourselves and others.
13. Like science, because the media explain to us how things work.
14. Like industrial arts, because the media are carefully planned, designed and constructed products.
15. Like the arts, because the media bring us pleasure, and we experience all the arts
through the media as no other age has ever done.
16. Like politics, because the media bring us political and ideological messages all the time - yes - all the time.
17. Like rhetoric, because the media use special codes and conventions of their own
languages that we need to understand and control—or we stand in danger of being
controlled by them.
18. Like drama, because the media help us understand life by presenting it as larger-than-
life, and compel us to think in terms of the audience.
19. Like Everest, because they are there.20. BECAUSE THE MEDIA GO TO GREAT LENGTHS TO STUDY US
These reasons are an eye opener to media educators to understand the wast and wide scope of the subject.